SUBTITLE: TALKIN’ ‘BOUT M-M-M-M-M-M-MY SOLUTION
The first two parts of this series were posted last week. They focused on the problems I have with being employed by Corporate America. I like to think and be myself, two big “no no’s” if you are an office drone.
Other things I don’t like: (1) Stupid rules that seem to exist just to piss off the peons, and (2) Complacent peers who say, “Well, those are the rules,” and then bend over instead of bonding together to bring about change.
So what is my solution? The answer is so simple that you probably saw it coming at the start of this series.
I’ve got a lot of irons in the fire to achieve this goal.
1) I’m getting back into the Beachbody Coach game, which I will build mostly online.
2) My online approach to Beachbody will be one that could be applicable to ANY internet marketing business, so down the line (after I have proven myself) I could offer internet marketing courses.
3) When I have branded myself successfully, I could put together branding strategy courses.
4) I certainly don’t want to neglect my decades-old love of writing when I get into the self-employment game. I want to work as a freelance writer. This could be in the form of editing or ghostwriting.
5) For a little extra income, I could start a site where I review movies, books, CD’s, video games, and anything else that strikes my fancy. If people want to buy the items I review, then I give them my Amazon Associates link and BOOM! A little extra dough.
6) As I get better at wing chun, I’d like to create a self-defense video course. In-person seminars might also be an option.
7) In line with the previous item AND the first, I want to open a school that offers self-defense and fitness classes. However, I want to take it one step further: I’d like to partner up with a dietitian who can give people nutritional advice. I have seen schools that offer martial arts and exercise help, but NEVER one that offered all three. At first I thought including the dietitian would be impossible because then health insurance would come into play and all that, but something happened recently that made me realize this might not be the case. So my dream could still be obtainable. More on that as it develops.
8) Last but not least, I’d like to do my part to help with the fight against bullying. This is a craze that has swept the nation lately, but I think it is misguided. A lot of these anti-bullying campaigns say things like, “If you see bullying, speak up.” While stepping in is noble, it does not get to the root of the problem. We need to EMPOWER these people who are constant victims of bullying so that they can stand up for themselves if no one is around to help.
Look at it this way: let’s say you see me being bullied. You step in and tell that person to knock it off. That saves me…for today. But what if that bully confronts me the next day, and you aren’t there? I will be victimized once again. In fact, the attack will probably be more brutal than usual because the jerk will be ticked that he didn’t succeed in bullying me the day before!
I’m not sure how to get this anti-bullying idea off the ground, but I think a good first step would be to write either some articles or even a book about it. One thing is for sure: I would NOT just upload a book to Amazon for this. Sad as it is, a lot of people view that as “not REALLY being published.” For this particular tome, I would pursue publication the old-fashioned way: sending it out to a literary agent to get shopped around to book publishers.
As you can see, I have quite a few ideas that could lead me to my path of self-employment. The beauty of it is that most of them can tie together: fitness, self-defense courses, anti-bullying, internet marketing and branding strategies all tie together. In fact, even the freelance writing ties back to internet marketing because I will be promoting that service online too.
Now it’s time to get the ball rolling.